Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Do you Know what "KIMJANG" is (About Korean culture.)

Hello  everyone,

In Korea,  I would like share some information about Korea culture Today .

About "Kimjang" Korea’s kimchi, a range of seasoned vegetable dishes, and kimjang, the making and sharing of kimchi, have both recently received much international recognition

According to Korean dictionaries, kimjang is, “the making or the result of making a large amount of kimchi, dongchimi, a juicy radish kimchi, or kkakdugi, a pickled radish kimchi, before or soon after the onset of winter, allowing people to eat from winter to spring.” The onset of winter is known as ipdong. It is the 19th division of the 24 solar divisions of the lunar calendar year.


I took some pictures of my neighbors who were making big amount of Kimchi ( it is Kimjang day)



at that time ,  I also participated the event and tried my best to make Kimchi .  However,   some of my neighbors teased me for not making kimchi properly and nobody will eat that kimchi ,  they laughed a lot ^^.

I would just  like to introduce you guys about our culture ,  here is one interesting news  as below,

In the past, most people made their kimchi during kimjang, as most of them lived with a large number of family members, often with more than three generations under one roof. But today, a growing number of people purchase kimchi rather than make it themselves during kimjang, as the size of individual households has gotten smaller. Such trends can be clearly seen in Seoul and other metropolitan areas.

In contrast to this urbanization, however, according to a survey from the Nonghyup Economic Research Institute released on December 5, more than 41 percent of the 500 respondents from the metropolitan area said they will make their own kimjang kimchi. Also, more than 25 percent said they would receive kimjang kimchi from their relatives or family members. This shows that more than 66 percent of respondents consume kimjang kimchi. Breaking it down by age, 83 percent of respondents aged over 50 said they make kimjang kimchi themselves. This shows that many people still prefer the consumption of kimjang kimchi. In light of this, many firms and communities make kimjang kimchi for needy neighbors and welfare recipients as a way to share the love at the end of the year.


2 comments:

  1. You guys have a blog!!!
    I didn't even know,
    I think its awesome that you explain in detail one of so many subjects on Korea's culture.
    Ever since I became absorbed in the Korean culture such as Music, Dramas and I could really go on and on ��
    I have always notice how somehow Kimchi was either involved or mentioned. I also love watching people make/eat Kimchi in dramas, they eat it with such happiness it makes me crave it even more.

    The process looks so fun, but I also understand it takes practice and dedication to make the perfect Kimchi.

    Hopefully one day in the future, I will be able to taste such delicacy:)

    Aww, your neighbors were laughing �� keep practicing!


    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for your comment..

    Yes, doing Kimjang really fun but yet tired. But because they do it for there family and relatives the hard work is worth it.

    Just keep on follow we will share some events, news and latest here in Korea..

    Thank you...

    ReplyDelete